|« What Did You Do Today?||Feeling Tearful »|
It's nearly spring, so why not make your garden into a wildlife garden and encourage some furry, buzzy and fluttery friends into the garden. Lovely for the children to watch and a chance to plant some pretty shrubs and trees. Here are some ideal plants to think about putting in this spring in order to attract wildlife:-
- Soft fruits: Blackberries, raspberries and red currents are loved by insects and birds. You may have to keep a few under a net to actually get a chance to eat any yourself!
- Dandelions: Many of us pull up the yellow blossom of dandelions, but they are a great favourite with bees and other buzzing insects; finches love their seeds.
- Honeysuckle: The berries are devoured by all sorts of birds, the nectar by buzzing bees.
- Lavender: The lovely scent of lavender attracts all sorts of bees and insects. Lovely to watch them merrily buzz around and a great mellow fragrance for the garden.
- Sunflowers: The sunny yellow flowers are loved by bees and the seeds are often eaten by birds.
- Buddleia: loved by butterflies and the pretty purple clusters of flowers have a stunning effect when in flower.