|« Technology Replacing Physical Activities||Sweet Tooth - Not a Problem! »|
Can the figures really be true that nearly 600 people have died over the last fifteen years due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning? It is crazy that something so easily traceable nowadays can be so dreadfully harmful. Furthermore, these figures only represent the deaths - thousands of people lie unconscious or have a close call according recent figures.
As your family grows, we become more aware of risks in the home and in faily life and look to do more to prevent accidents from happening, yet the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in the home are often overlooked because of the invisible nature of the threat. Carbon Monoxide has no smell and cannot be seen. In the home, Carbon Monoxide is usually a byproduct of boilers not burning their gas fuel fully, but it can be produced by the partial combustion of any carbon based fuel including wood, petrol and oil.
If Carbon Monoxide is inhaled, it replaces vital oxygen in our blood and our body cannot function properly.
Central heating systems, gas hobs and ovens, and gas fires are the most frequent appliances to leak carbon monoxide. Car exhausts are also a source.
If you are suffering, you may feel like you have flu: dizzy spells, headache, feeling sick. However, you will not suffer from a high temperature which is the major difference. If the poisoning is more progressed, it can result in feeling confused, lead to hyper-ventilation and make you feel drowsy and sleepy.
How to avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning:
- Check gas and oil fired appliances regularly, have them serviced professionally
- Fit carbon monoxide alarms or sensors
- Ventilate cars or petrol lawn mowers - don't use in closed spaces
If in any doubt, have your appliances checked by a professional.