|« Reading Comprehension for Little Ones||Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?! »|
Swaddling a baby is a good way to help them sleep and you can even get some pre-wrapped swaddling blankets that are easy to fit and remain in place.
- It's a good way to calm an unsettled baby.
- New babies are used to the closeness of being in the womb or being in their mother's arms. They are often unprepared for total freedom and it unnerves them. By swaddling, you recreate this closeness which makes them feel calm and secure.
- For many, swaddling is vital as its stops their limbs from flaying while they are trying to sleep.
- It's a way to calm the Moro Reflex, that startle reflex that all babies are born with. They have an innate fear of falling and so throw their arms out if they are startled. This reflex can be triggered even when parents place babies in their cot for sleeping. Swaddling helps prevent this from happening.
- Studies have shown that swaddling can enhance the development of low weight babies.
- It may reduce the risk of cot death.
- It soothes overstimulated babies.
- It can help with colic.
Do you need any more excuses to give your baby a special cuddle?!