|« Preparation for Reading||The Surprising thing about Children... »|
If you have snow around you then no doubt it's cold, but on the plus side, the children are probably loving it! Wrap the children up in coats, hats, scarves and gloves, put on some cosy boots, and they can go out and play while the snow lasts. Here are some game ideas to play outside in the snow:-
- Snow Sculpture: Traditionally we build snowmen, but why not build snow animals and other sculptures like snow-castles or a boat? Help your children to scoop up mounds of snow and sculpt it into a variety of shapes!
- Animal Tracking: Look out for the footprints of different animals in the snow; birds, cats, dogs, foxes, squirrels, rabbits, deer...even if you live in an urban area you'll be surprised at how many animals wander in the wild! Look for animal tracks and tell your toddlers all about the creatures that make them.
- Footprint Art: There's nothing more inviting than pristine snow! Have your children create a track of snow pictures by trampling through a pristine blanket of snow.
- Obstacle Course: Build an obstacle course in the snow - draw a line that your toddler must walk 'tightrope' style, draw boxes that they must jump between and build hurdles that they must jump over.
- Target Practice: Build a snowman then have your toddler pelt him (or is it a her?!) with snowballs. Get a hat and have your children throw a hat onto its head!
You may be tired of the snow, but there are still plenty of games the children can have fun with outdoors!