|« Sleepwalking||Mr Allen, the Government's Plans and ToucanLearn »|
Maths for toddlers isn't difficult numbers and hard sums... it is much more fun than that!
Take a box of sand, some old cartons or tubes such as toothpaste cartons, little cereal packets, or stock cube boxes. Take some spoons such as tea spoons, wooden cooking spoons, dolly sized spoons. Ask you little ones to fill the tubes and boxes with their hands and with the spoons. Then get them to empty the contents or transfer from one box to another. Show them how to do it. Make piles of sand, squash the sand and fill the boxes. Then, ask them:
- Which box is the biggest, the fattest, the tallest?
- Which holds most?
- Which spoon holds most sand?
- Which spoon is best to fill the big box or the small box?
- Ask which is heavier and how they feel when full and empty?
- Explore and play together
This is the beginning of learning about mass and weight... its also great fun!