|« Your Baby's Teeth||Make a Giant Sundial »|
'Pick your own' fruit and vegetable farms make for a wonderful day out, and it's only as expensive as your appetite is big! This time of year is perfect for taking the children along to a farm and sharing with them the delight of picking and digging their own crops. If you don't know of any PYO farms near you, then use Google to try and find one.
Crops on offer will vary from farm to farm, but typically you'll find:-
- Berries which might include raspberries, strawberries, redcurrants, blackcurrents, blackberries etc.
- Other fruits such as apples, pears and plums
- Vegetables like carrots, cabbages, cauliflowers, spinach, sweetcorn, potatoes and onions
- Various beans: peas, broad beans, dwarf beans, runner beans, french beans, mange tout and sugar snap peas
- Squashes such as butternut squash, courgettes, marrows and pumpkins
The crops on offer will vary throughout the season which will run from around May to October time.
Children will delight in the fun of a day out at a fruit and vegetable farm, and the experience of choosing and picking their own produce helps them to learn about the food cycle. When you're out in the fields at a farm, you can undertake other activities too to extend your trip.
Don't forget to take your camera and upload pictures of your day into your Daily Diary at ToucanLearn!