|« Allergies - What Should We Look Out For?||Bad Language - How Can You Stop It? »|
When a new baby arrives so much of the focus is on Mum, but what about things Dad can do with baby! The relationship with Daddy is very important too! Here are a few ideas to get Dad involved and feel an important part of the family.
- Monkeying around - play peek-a-boo, blow raspberries, pull funny faces, make a teddy talk. Remember all your boy-ish larking around but this time take baby with you!
- Get informed - do a bit of research into babies, and have a good idea of what is required and what is going on. It will be a great help to Mum and will make you feel an important part of those early days.
- Hunt for your favourite book - try to recall what you liked as a child. If you still have any old books in the attic then pull them out, dust them down and start reading them to your little one. If you can't find a particular title, pop to the library and see if it's there. Or, choose a new book you like the look of and make it a special book you read to your child together.
- Go for a walk - grab a sling and go for a walk together on your own. Mum will be happy for a bit of rest. Touch leaves, rest on a sunny park bench, sit on the grass and spend easy time together.
- Stand Up for Yourself! - don't let a mother or mother-in-law undermine you or your role as a Dad. Stand up for yourself!
- Feeding friend - if mummy is breast feeding you can't really help to feed baby, but how about bringing a nice glass of juice or a snack to keep her going. It will be appreciated!
- Snap! - take lots of photos. Time goes so quickly, snap whenever you can of everything to do with your baby - even feeding, or sleeping! You'll love seeing them again in years to come when bottles and cots have gone!
- Go shopping - buy a toy from you and give it to your baby as a gift. Let no one influence you - just choose your own toy and present it to your baby! Buy a new set of clothes too - why not!? Again,choose what you would like and not what you think might be right or acceptable!
- Don't Give Up - if you are not too good at nappies and baby seems to cry every time you hold her, don't give up! Keep at it and you'll get to know each other better and you will get to know what baby likes!
Enjoy your new baby!