|« Pre-Reading Skills||Keep It Safe! »|
There is a lot to be said for a nice, relaxing massage; it soothes away worries and stress, relieves tension and can make mummies feel like new. But, don't forget the benefits of massage for babies. Infant massage can be beneficial for babies in so many ways.
You can go to scheduled classes and learn how to massage from a professional. But, if you are gentle, careful and sensitive to your baby's needs, you can do some basic massage at home.
Benefits of massage include:
- weight gain
- encourage peace and calm
- bonding with baby
- reduce pain
- help with digestion
- strengthen immune system
- improve sleeping
- plus and possibly most importantly it is a great chance to spend some quality time with baby.
How long to massage? 15 minutes is probably enough, but if baby is enjoying it you can go on longer. Similarly if they are not enjoying it, stop and try again later.
What to do?
- Gentle strokes down each leg, from the thigh to the ankle
- Walk your fingers over their arms and upper torso
- Gentle circular movements with the thumb and fingers over the foot area
- Gentle strokes down each arm and onto the hand
- Avoid massaging the head and back
What to use?
Pure and simple extra virgin, 100% olive oil is best! It is not sticky and great for massaging. Try warming it up a bit first my rubbing your hands vigorously. This will make it more comforting and easier to use. Enjoy!