|« Shhh, it's Quiet Time!||How To Make A Wormery! »|
It's not always easy to make friends, especially if you are a toddler! Some children find it very easy to make attachments and their affections seem to be reciprocated. However, for many who are ready to make friends, it seems that it's not as easy.
It could be because they are just not mentally ready to develop friendships. Toddlers are concerned primarily with themselves, and so the idea of a friend that you share with and be nice to is a bit difficult for some to understand. Even if your child is ready, the other child may not be!
Here are some tips on how you can help:
- Give them plenty of opportunity to make friends: see lots of people and do lots of different activities
- Give them lots of praise when they do something kind to another person
- Don't force them or try to make them form friendships with people they don't like!
- Try not to interfere when they are interacting or playing!
- Be bold, approach people at play group and get to know them yourself
- Lead by example, chat to people and make friends yourself
- Talk about being kind, sharing and being a good friend while you are at home
- Support any efforts to make friends even if they fail