|« Wildlife In Your Gardens||Books, Books, Books! »|
Now that summer is here, sand and water play are back on the agenda, plus lots of outside games. Here's a simple activity to encourage letter recognition and exploring.
- Go out and find lots of pebbles and little stones. Wash them together and clean them up. Dry them in the sunshine.
- Once dry, mark each one with an indelible pen with a lower case letter of the alphabet on one side.
- Once the ink is dry, select a few pebbles that make up some easy words: pig, dog, cat, cow. Head off into the garden or sand pit and hide the pebbles.
- Ask your little one to try and find them and name each of the letters. If they are good at this and recognise the letter, see if they can name the letters and make the sounds.
- Show how the letters make up the words and eventually they will be able to do this alone!