|« Stuttering in Children||Stop Shouting! »|
Teaching your child to enjoy reading, to love stories and grow their imagination is really a very easy thing to do and you will both reap the rewards. Reading is not only essential at school but it is great fun too!
- Get your child to choose the book or at least the topic to read about.
- Treat them occasionally to magazines to get them interested in different sorts of books and words and the way words and stories are presented.
- Go to the library; ask friends about good books that have inspired them and try to get hold of some.
- Swap good books with your children's friends... like a kiddie book club!
- Make sure your child sees you read: whether it be books, magazines, papers etc. They will learn from seeing you.
- Do research on things together: look up on the internet or go to the library together is something has triggered a thought.
- Keep books around the place so they see them as part of every day life. And, keep the children's books at a height they can reach!
- Reward your child when they do start to read and show them how pleased you are for them.
- Make time each day to read together - even once your child is reading independently its still nice to read a book
- Make it fun and enjoy reading together!