|« Babies and Pillows||Night, Night...Sleep Tight! »|
Getting active with the children is not always as easy as it sounds: how can you fit any more activity time in an already busy day? Here are some simple ways to increase the activity levels in your family. Remember, every little bit counts, so keep a note of all these activities and work out your daily total of minutes spent being active.
- Music Time - turn on some groovy music and have a good old dance together!
- Encourage your toddler to walk up the stairs or to the car rather than being carried. For older children, encourage them to tidy up after themselves or put away toys or washing at the end of the day.
- Walk to the shops and post box rather than take the car.
- Get the little ones involved with household chores: digging in the garden, sweeping the floor, washing down the garden shed.
- Go for a walk as a family - find somewhere with woods and climb up the trees or balance along fallen tree trunks.
- Have a time limit on TV watching.
- Think about some old fashioned games that are fun to play outside: hop skotch, skipping, chase, hide and seek, hoolahoop, flying a kite.
Children should do about an hour of physical activity each day. See how close you are and praise them each time they want to do something physical. It is so good for them to start out actively as children, because then they are more likely to stay active as they grow older.