|« Keep Children Hydrated - Make Sure They Drink Water||National Family Week »|
Everyone gets sad now and then and that goes for our children too. The worst thing you can do is say to them, 'Be happy!', 'Stop being miserable!', 'Smile, please!' because we all know how irritating that can be as a grown up, and it's just the same if you are a child.
So, here are a few tips to lift a child's mood if they are a bit low. It may seem straighforward, but these few ideas are positive and easy to do.
1. Give some love! Give your child lots of hugs and kisses to show them they are loved. Sometimes that's all it takes! Try not to smother them, but make it clear that they are special and loved by you.
2. Choose a game to play. Ask your little one to decide on which game to play. It may be a board game or a make-believe game of fairies or monsters! This will get them thinking about other things and may take their mind off what's making them sad.
3. Do something creative. Make a model, or do a craft together. Get messy with paints, or make a pasta necklace. Try doing something that you can work on together and give lots of praise!
4. Get busy in the kitchen and make something tasty to eat! Try making cookies or fairy cakes and decorate them with icing and chocolate drops. Lots of fun and great to eat!
5. Go outside and have a run around. Grab some bubbles or a ball and let off some steam in the garden or park. Go crazy together with some fun games and lots of laughter.
6. Talk. If you are sad about the same thing, then try having a chat about it. Share your sadness in a little way, may help you both! They will feel less isolated and perhaps so will you.
7. Reassure them. Let them know it's okay to feel a bit sad sometimes. Its natural and it happens to us all. Try and work out what's bothering your child and it may be something so tiny and easy to solve.
Whatever the matter, take care to be gentle and calm. What seems like nothing to us, can be a big deal to a child.