|« Safety Rules for using Scissors!||Keep Fresh Produce Fresher »|
This is a great activity to use up some of the Christmas packaging you might have and also have a go at making some cardboard cookies to play with.
Take some brown corrugated card packaging and cut out lots of varied cookie shapes. Talk about the shapes you are cutting: are they round cookies, square cookies or heart shaped. Then, cut some white paper into the same shapes to make the cookies toppings. Think of some fun things to put on top. Draw chocolate sprinkles, raisins, cherries, grapes, and so on, onto each of the pieces of paper. Make sure you do a few of each. Using some tape, stick the toppings on the cookies.
Ask your child:
- What are the colours of the toppings?
- Sort them into groups that are the same
- Count each group and then count all the cookies
- Sort them into groups of the same shape
- Ask for 4 cookies with different toppings
- Look at three cookies together with different toppings and then hide one. Try to guess which one is missing
- Ask who would like to eat which cookies. i.e. Granny would like the lemon one, Mum would like the chocolate one
- Lay out the cookies on the floor to make a big shape