|« EYFS 2012||Cress Projects »|
Having children at home should make you think more carefully about the safety of your home, and if you haven't previously had smoke detectors fitted, then now really is the time to do so. Smoke detectors now cost almost nothing and could so easily save your life, and your little ones, should they be triggered in the event of a fire.
They can be a pain, going off when you burn the sausages, but don't leave them in a hazardous state with the battery hanging out after a false alarm. If you do have to disable it because it goes off when you burn your cooking, clear the air and plug it straight in again.
Check smoke detectors on a regular basis. Manufacturers suggest checking monthly, but if they are in an accessible place, you can test them more frequently as you pass by.
A more deadly killer than smoke is carbon monoxide. This gas is emitted by gas appliances if they do not burn their fuel properly. Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer. Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in air and when it fills our lungs, we cannot extract the oxygen required to breath and this will kill you. Faulty gas appliances are generally faulty over time and there is a chance that you could be poisoned by it over a long period. Classic symptoms are feelings of nausea and lethargy, and vomitting and feinting for no obvious reason. All of this can be avoided by fitting a carbon monoxide alarm - they cost a little more than smoke detectors, but what price can you put on saving a life?