|« Children Who Eat School Lunches Eat Better At Home Too||Keep Kids Safe Outside! »|
Whether a Grandparent or Aunty, or even a parent, babysitting a new born baby can be boring! Here are a few tips to make it fun for both of you!
- Cuddle up with a good book: It could be a kiddie book and you can read in a nice, quiet voice to the little bundle and enjoy a nice cuddle. It could be your own novel! Try reading aloud and seeing how happy baby is just to be warm and safe and listening to your voice.
- Watch TV together and chat about what you see. They will love the moving pictures, the sound and comfort of your voice and the attention! A little bit of television is fine!
- Have a gentle massage. Lie them down safely and tickle their toes, stroke their hands and gently give a massage.
- Count fingers and toes and get their hands moving. Sing Round And Round the Garden and watch their delight!
- Have a sing: singing, and music, are a great comfort to a baby. Listen to all sorts of music together, it needn't just be soft, baby music - as longs as it's not too loud.
- Get down on the floor and encourage crawling or playing depending on the age. They will love the attention and to have someone new spending time with them.
- Carry on as usual: you can still get on with your regular tasks and jobs when babysitting. If you make sure the baby is safe, you can leave their side. Perhaps chatter as you do things and talk through what you are doing.
- Go for a stroll: it's nice to get some fresh air even in winter, so wrap up baby and go for a walk whenever you can to get you out. As long as baby is warm you will be fine!
- Have a nap: babies do get tired, so if you think they are getting sleepy, put them down for a nap. Watching them when they sleep is just magical!